The Daybreak Program is designed to provide supervision and activities for adults with disabilities. Our focus is on community integration, teaching independent living skills, and job skills.Daybreak provides therapeutic activities for the elderly, people with developmental and mental health disabilities, and survivors of brain injury. Opportunities for learning are offered through a variety of subjects and taught in a classroom-like environment. These classes include cooking, hygiene, symptom management, gardening, spelling, reading, math, money management, group processing, arts and crafts, and how to deal with stress. In addition to being educational, social opportunities are available as well through interaction with their peers and outings in the community.
Daybreak Activity Center is located in the Mary Lee Foundation Community Building at: 1327 Lamar Square Drive Austin, Texas 78704
Services are provided:
8:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Criteria for entering the program*:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Provide us with a psychological assessment to determine if we are able to provide day programming
- Have a disability
- Be medically stable
- Have a funding source to pay for the program
- Have manageable behavior
- Not be an imminent danger to self or others
*The Mary Lee Foundation will review and discuss individual special needs on a case by case basis
Mary Lee Foundation does not provide transportation. Transportation to and from the day program is the responsibility of the person attending or the family. If a consumer’s ride is late to pick him/her up, we will attempt to stay, but if it is past 3:30 p.m. it is not guaranteed.
Lunches & Outings:
Mary Lee Foundation does not provide lunches unless there is a cooking class or a party scheduled for the day. Please bring your own lunch. Staff will assist the meal needs to be refrigerated or warmed. Please inform us of any special dietary needs of the consumer. Daybreak will pay for admission to some outings. You will be informed in advance of community outings so the consumer can bring money for the admission if needed.
The day program is closed on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. The program may be closed other days around holidays if attendance will be low. We will give as much advanced notice as possible if this occurs.
Discharge from the program will occur if:
- The consumer becomes medically unstable
- The consumer’s behavior becomes unmanageable (verbally or physically)
- The consumer refuses to participate
- Payments for services are not received
- Private pay (call for rates)
- Contract with Intermediate Care Facility for Adults with Intellectual Disabilities or Related Condition provider, Home and Community-Based Services or other waiver provider
- Mental Health/Mental Retardation General Revenue
- Leigh Dunson: Administrator – Bachelors in Psychology
Mary Lee Foundation – Daybreak Center
Post Office Box 3174
Austin, Texas 78764
Business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.