Austin, TX 78704
Salary: $37,440.00 /year
Purpose: To ensure that all work ordered is completed on time and according to quality standards and that spending on supplies used to complete maintenance remains within budgetary constraints. Provides maintenance in all areas related to Mary Lee Foundation and its subsidiaries, Mary Lee Community, Flagship, and Charles Place property. Works collaboratively with staff, tenants, and partnering agencies to ensure tenants live in safe and decent housing.
- Maintenance Responsibilities
- Troubleshoot maintenance problems that arise and estimate the best course of action to remedy the problem.
- Keep vehicle maintenance/mileage logs.
- Maintain weekly housekeeping supply inventories.
- Inspect riser room equipment, sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, elevators, etc. as directed.
- Perform regular roof inspection, clearing debris from roof, around drains, overflows & scupper.
- Make inspection of center lights, security lights, restrooms, hallways, common areas to ensure that all lights are operational. Perform exterior lighting audits, summarize findings and coordinate repairs at direction of Property Manager.
- Keep an up-to-date tools and equipment inventory and maintain all tools and equipment in good working order.
- Repair projects as needed on properties. May include doors, windows, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, painting, tile replacement and parking lot.
- Maintains cleanliness of property, ensuring it is free of trash and litter, including sidewalks and parking lots.
- Organizes and cleans storage sheds, rain gutters, laundry rooms; washes windows.
- Provide outstanding customer service at all times.
- Meets all applicable Fair Housing standards at all times.
- Prepares apartments for turnover in a timely manner 7 days.
- Patches and installs dry wall.
- Installs air conditioning units, heating units, appliances, water heaters, shower tubs, windows and other equipment.
- Assists with moving furniture and appliances.
- Inspects buildings for water leaks, gas leaks, failing electrical wires, and other potential safety hazards.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Give recognition for good performance and effectively counsel poor performance.
- Assist in overseeing construction workers and vendors working on property.
- Administer roll-off policy, maintain records accordingly.[JS1]
- Maintain a work/job schedule for maintenance staff.
- Supervise Maintenance Workers and issue job assignments.
- Inspects work performed by Maintenance Staff and reinforces standards set by Property management team.
- Coordinate and execute work orders for all repairs.
- Assists in creating Preventative Maintenance schedules for HVAC, Plumbing, etc. and coordinates services.
- Assists with maintaining morale. Develop staff members by enhancing their roles and broadening their experiences.
- Perform daily inspection of grounds, make recommendations for immediate action and coordinate to resolve. Inspect exterior landscaping weekly.
- Coordinate access for capital spend contractors.
- Communicates operational requirements necessary to support projects and clearly articulates operational needs & tenant impact to Mary Lee Property management team on a timely basis.
- In coordination with Mary Lee Foundation Management, administers Safety Program.
- Perform duties as directed by Mary Lee Foundation Management.
Responsibilities are not limited to the above list and may include other duties as deemed necessary by supervisor
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Technical School certifications (eg. HVAC) and/or training preferred to at least Journeyman [JS2] level.
- Certified Apartment Service Technician (CAMT) or similar preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of general maintenance experience, at least 1 year of apartment maintenance experience required.
- Excellent working knowledge of techniques and proper procedures related to; Plumbing, Heating, Refrigeration, Air conditioning, Electrical work, and Carpentry.
- Must have at least basic knowledge of fire protection hydraulic system and fire protection alarm systems.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and comprehend verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively present information to departmental management, employees, tenants, and outside contacts.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to define problems, collect information and establish facts.
- Minimum of 3-5 years [JS3] of supervisory experience (preferred).
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
· The employee receives instructions from a Property Manager, and carries out work activities with minimal supervision.
· The employee receives specific instructions when complaints are brought to the attention of the supervisor, and when the employee contacts the supervisor for direction. The employee’s work is spot-checked while in progress, and the final product is reviewed for conformity to organizational policies and attainment of objectives.
· The employee supervises the maintenance team and is fully responsible for their consistent and effective workflow.
Responsibility for Confidential Matters:
· The employee will have access to sensitive information, including tenant identification information listed on work orders, and access to tenant’s apartment. The employee will be required to ensure all confidential information is secured at all times in accordance with HIPPA regulations.
· The employee performs routine duties following established and specific guidelines. Routinely the employee makes decisions concerning residents’ or maintenance problems using personal judgment based on prior experience. The employee is expected to adhere to all existing guidelines, and compliance is monitored intermittently.
· The employee performs a large number of varied tasks that require independent decision-making on a daily basis. Occasionally, the employee makes decisions regarding unusual circumstances, conflicting data, or other non-routine circumstances. In those cases the employee adapts procedures or develops new approaches to the work.
Scope and Effect:
· The employee is involved in management and operation of Public and Fair Housing and their work affects the residents, community groups and support agencies on a continuing basis. Successful accomplishment of duties by the employee greatly enhances the Mary Lee Foundation’s ability to meet its overall mission of providing housing that is decent, safe and sanitary.
· The employee has contact with Mary Lee Foundation employees at all levels and with various persons including: the general public, the media, residents, resident association officers, officials, and representatives of various social services, educational and city agencies.
· The primary purpose of contacts are to gain, clarify or give information; plan, coordinate and advise on work efforts; motivate, influence or direct persons or groups; and to justify, defend, negotiate or resolve controversial matters or issues.
*Mental and Physical Abilities:*
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; sit, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
o The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
o Work is performed in-office and on-site and involves physical exertion during repairs and inspections of units and developments. Work may entail traveling to meetings, conferences and workshops in other cities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o Work involves the normal risks and discomforts associated with an office environment and maintenance to outdoor developments, sites, dwellings or facilities, inspections of structures and confrontations with venders, contractors, and residents.
o The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
o While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
o The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles.
o The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock, dampness, direct sunlight, dust, pollen, insect stings, and animals.
o Travel to other sites may involve adverse weather and road conditions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel classified in this position.